Most of our users have absolutely no need to use the BKON Connect Configuration app because out BKON brand beacons come pre-configured for the Physical Web and for use with our PHY Platform out of the box. All of our BKON brand beacons are set to broadcast Eddystone-URL and are in a non-connectable mode for our users safety... but just like most other beacon hardware companies, our beacons are capable of broadcasting many different frame types so we wanted to allow users to do whatever they want with our beacons.
That's where the BKON Connect Configuration app comes into play. This app, available for iOS or Android, can be used to pair with your BKON brand beacon to change the hardware settings. We don't recommend this for 95% of our customers because changing the beacons settings may affect the PHY Platform and has potential to cause problems. However, if you do choose to download and pair with your BKON beacon, there is some additional functionality that may be unlocked for developers.
By using the BKON Connect Configuration app, you have the potential to change many of the settings for your beacon including:
- Beacon Mode: iBeacon (connectable/non-connectable), Eddystone (connectable/non-connectable), Interleave (connectable/non-connectable). Interleave broadcasts both iBeacon and Eddystone frame types together. *default is Eddystone (non-connectable)
- Change the major/minor/UUID for iBeacon.
- Eddystone Type: If you'd like to explore Eddystone-UID beacon functionality with services like Google Beacon Registry, then our beacons support that. We choose not to focus on Eddystone-EID because we already have a rotating, synced key on our Eddystone-URL frame type which gives us anti-spoofing capabilities.
- UID Namespace and Instance configuration if you're exploring the Eddystone-UID frame type.
- TX Power: -30 dBm to 4 dBM. Our default setting is -12 dBm and our PHY platform is configured so that users have the ability to change the range of their beacons on the platform instead of needing to change the tx power... but in case you want to, you can.
- Advertising Interval: How frequently your beacon flashes it's designated frame type. Our default is 700 ms. (Our 4.0 firmware beacons offers different intervals to be set for iBeacon and Eddystone frame types. We did this if users choose to utilize the Interleave beacon mode for both frame types.)
If you'd like to know more, take a look at our BKON Connect Configuration app user guide.