When a template DBC uses Actions that get their user-specific data from an in-app database, you no longer need to set up individual Actions for each user's phone, email, vCard, etc. Creating a new card becomes a simple 3-step process:
- Create a new app
- Copy the desired template
- Complete the user-specific data in the app's Data tab
This process also sets up the app's styling, home screen icon, and social preview. You only need to add the new app's "short name" for the home screen icon.
Directions to create a Template DBC
Begin by completing the information in the Data tab that will be unique to the card user.
- You add this information because Actions that use the Data tab are hidden if the corresponding database field is empty, and you want them to be visible in the Template. These data fields will not copy over when one copies a template app, but will if one clones that app.
- Unique information will include contact information, but it might also be an embed of the employee's calendar, a personal video, etc.
Complete the "Page Setup" controls in the Data tab to set up the Style, SEO, and App tabs.
- Updating an image or name in the Data tab will update all uses in the app.
- If one does not check any vCard options, then a vCard action in the app will not display.
Add the Actions to build the app. Select the "Pull from data tab" option for all actions that use the user-specific data.
- An Action's styling and call-to-action will be shared by all apps using that Action.
- An Action set to use the Data tab will not display if the corresponding user data field is not populated.
- Form and Lead Actions significantly benefit from the data tab by pulling each employee's email address for email alerts. One Lead Action can serve an entire company.
- Actions that do not pull user-specific data, such as product and company information, will be shared by all apps.
Add color styling and branding to your app.
Make your app a Template by tapping the "Private/Template" toggle under the dashboard preview and selecting "Template."
- You can Clone an App without making it a template. Cloning only works within an account.
- Templates can be copied across accounts
- You only need to select the template flag and do not need to fill out the Template metadata. Doing so will make the template publically visible.
You are now ready to create new digital business cards in moments.
- Copy and modify one of our existing DBC templates to speed up the process.
- Because all of the Actions may be shared, it's possible to set up an account to do the digital cards for all of the employees in a company with only 10 or 20 Action in the account.
- The quick-edit module of an Action has a switch to use the Data tab, which makes it easy to see which Actions are doing so.
- If you want to use a company logo for the favicon or app icon, then do not select those options in the setup, and the icon and logo used in the Template app will copy over, and the new app will not use the profile photo for these images.
- The Link Action lets you choose wheter to pull the URL from the "Link" field in the Data tab or from one of the Socila fields. Thie option allows you to add a social channel into a menu of contact actions.
- Set up an entire menu to use the Data tab and use the same menu for numbers of DBCs.
- If you want a big image in an app, rather than profile image, use an image Action. The image Action pulls from the "image" option of the "other resources" section of the Data tab. Continue to add the profile image if it will be used as an app icon or favicon.
- A Page text Action requires you to add sample text when you use the "Pull from Data tab" option. If for example you use it for an embedded bio, you will want the text to be the correct color and font size, and the text pulled from the Data tab gets its styling from the original Page text Action.
Reference this Tutorial on making a digital business card using the Data tab.