"App Copy" is a feature for cloning one app into a new app.
It's useful for enterprise applications such as company-wide digital business cards where the style and function of a master card is replicated across dozens or thousands of individual employee cards (i.e. apps).
The most critical decision in copying an app is determining which actions are reused in the new app and which are copied.:
- Using an existing action means that the same Action will be in both apps after cloning, and updating that action will update both apps.
- Copying an action creates a unique new action in the new app. There are two Actions afterward, and each affects only a single app.
Copied actions are automatically renamed with a variable “name extension” that one selects during the copy process. One can also select tags that are automatically added to copied Actions.
The best practice is to make the app ID both the name extension and the tag match the ID.
The process of cloning an app is straightforward:
- Choose the Copy button of the app you want to copy.
- Select an ID and domain for the new app
- Change elements of the PWA and SEO tabs if they are different
- Choose a tag for the copied actions
- Choose the “name extension” to be added to the copied actions
- Select whether actions will be reused, copied, or not be used in the new app.
- Select “Create App”
Upon tapping “Create App” you will be on the dashboard to edit the new app. Make needed edits to the new app and you're done.