"Clone" is a feature for copying one app into a new app within an account.
It's useful for enterprise applications such as company-wide digital business cards where the style and function of a master card is replicated across dozens or thousands of individual employee cards (i.e. apps).
You initiate a cloning from an option under the "More" tab of an App's navigation bar.
The most critical decision in cloning an app is determining which actions are reused in the new app and which are copied.:
- Using an existing action means that the same Action will be in both apps after cloning, and updating that action will update both apps.
- Copying an action creates a unique new action in the new app. There are two Actions afterward, and each affects only a single app.
Copied actions are automatically renamed with a variable “name extension” that one selects during the copy process. One can also select tags that are automatically added to copied Actions.
The best practice is to make the app ID both the name extension and the tag match the ID.
The process of cloning an app is straightforward:
- Choose the Clone button of the app you want to copy.
- Select an ID and domain for the new app
- Choose a tag for the copied actions
- Choose the “name extension” to be added to the copied actions
- Select whether actions will be reused, copied, or not be used in the new app.
- Select “Create App”
After creating the new App's URL and the copy status of each Action, tap “Copy App” and you will be on the dashboard to edit the new app. Make needed edits to the new app and you're done.
Apps can also be cloned at scale via API.
Shown below is the cloning selector where you choose which Actions will transfer to the new App and whether the Action wil be shared with the original App or a new Action will be created: